Last night was the second episode of Fox’s hit new singing competition show, “The Masked Singer.” The show, hosted by Nick Cannon, where twelve undercover celebs compete head-to-head in song in front of a live studio audience and a panel of celeb judges: Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong and Nicole Scherzinger.
Once again, it was up to the audience to guess the true identities of the stars in disguise. This time, dressed as a Rabbit, Alien, Pineapple, Raven, Poodle and Bee. But luckily, we were given some hints/clues along the way. Here are the highlights:
- The Rabbit sang first, with an interesting take on Ricky Martin’s “Livin’ La Vida Loca.” He had a good voice, and his teaser revealed that he’s spent most of his life onstage in a band – he kept dropping the word “pop,” too. The judges were guessing anyone from Criss Angel to Jake Gyllenhaal, and Thicke guessed Joey Fatone from NSYNC. Clue Review: Male, has been in a band most of his life, possibly a pop group, and he’s worn a mask before.
- The Alien was up next, singing “Feel It Still” by Portugal. The Man.The clues revealed that she’s used to living in the public eye, because in her family “anonymity is a completely alien concept.” She had a high voice and while she could keep a rhythm, her dance moves and vocal range seemed a little limited. Judges were guessing that it could be a model, with Thicke guessing Bella Hadid, but then Jeong suggested Kourtney Kardashian once the Alien dished that she has “many sisters.” Alien ended up being voted into the bottom three. Clue Review:Female, high voice, in shape, has a lot of sisters, and is used to being in the spotlight. The Alien ended up losing to the Rabbit and was sent to the bottom three.
- The Raven hit the stage next, singing “Rainbow” by Kesha. She gave what Jeong called a “sincere” performance, and she had a great voice but nothing fancy. Raven revealed that she recently “suffered a tragic loss,” dedicating her song to the late loved one she called “baby.” We also learned that she’s hosted some kind of talk show before, which had McCarthy guessing it was Sherri Shepherd and Jeong thinking Star Jones. Clue Review: Female, strong voice, has recently suffered a tragic loss, has hosted some kind of talk show.
- The Pineapple was up next to battle The Raven. This one was a total hoot, as the Pineapple-dressed man gave an easy-going version of “I Will Survive.” It didn’t sound like he was a professional singer or anything… more like he was about to fall asleep, which has McCarthy thinking it was a stoner a guessed Cheech Marin…or Tommy Chong.We also found out that he beat a life-threatening disease, and that he chose to be a pineapple because he’s also “fun, tropical and goes well with ham.” Clue Review: Male, easy-going, “tropical” and “fun,” not a singer, sense of humor, has been in the public eye. In the end, the Pineapple lost to the Raven and ended up in the bottom three.
- The Poodle was next, rocking out Pat Benatar’s “Heartbreaker.” She was obviously comfortable on stage, and gave a heck of an energetic performance. She hinted that she’s from a “musical family,” but that she’s known for doing something else. Judges had no idea who it could be, guessing RuPaul, Ali Wong, and Jeong even threw in Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Clue Review: Female, good voice, from a musical family, proudly displays a rainbow.
- Finally, the Bee hit the stage. She served up a moving performance of “Chandelier by Sia. She gave the impression that she is an older, professional musician, who had her start in the 1950s but is ready for a “new generation.” She suggested that people refer to her as “Queen Bee” or “Empress.” In that case, judges though it could be Dionne Warwick. Clue Review: Female, good voice, got her start in music in the 1950s, considers herself an “empress.” She ended up losing to the Poodle and was sent to the bottom three.
Check out the performances and find out who lost below:
In the end, the judges voted on the bottom three – the Alien, the Pineapple, and the Poodle. Pineapple was the one sent home, and judges threw in some of their last guesses before the big reveal. He revealed to be… Tommy Chong! That still leaves us to question who could be behind the masks of the Poodle, the Raven, and Rabbit. They’re the last six of the 12 celebrities competing this season – two down, ten to go!